9/28/2009

The 38th Annual National Shrimp Festival

Starting October 8, 2009, the boardwalk at the public beach in Gulf Shores will be filled with the tantalizing smells of culinary delights. For four days, vendors of food, fine art, arts and crafts and entertainment will take their spaces in the public parking areas and souvenir T-shirts, caps and trinkets will be sold. It is Shrimp Festival time.

Out of all the festivals I have been to in my life, the Annual National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores is my favorite. I don’t know if it is because it is on my favorite beach, or if it is the variety of delicious food, the impressive art or all of the above. I do know another 300,000 (or so) people feel the same way.

For the last 38 years, locals and visitors have gathered on the second weekend in October to enjoy one last fling on the beach with great music food and art. This year’s entertainment includes Lee Ann Womack Friday night and Foghat Saturday night. Favorite local and regional acts will keep two stages “humming” all four days. The kids have their own entertainment as well with live music, games, face painting and too much other fun stuff to list. For those that are artistically inclined, or just love playing in the sand, there is a sand sculpture contest on Saturday.

I always find something I can’t live without at the festival and my visit is not complete until I have at least one Cajun pistol, a pastry filled with crawfish, cheese and spices (among other things). If you haven’t tried one, you haven’t had the full Shrimp Festival experience.

October is a great time to visit the coast and the Shrimp Festival is a good excuse. Plus, during this time of year you can live like the locals and see why we make the Alabama Gulf Coast our home.