10/23/2009

Good Eats on the Coast

“Where do the locals eat?” When I have out-of-town visitors, this is the question I am asked most often. They want me to take them where I eat. When I head towards the beach, I get confused looks, but some of the best food to be found is right in the middle of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.

When my brother and sister-in-law visit from North Mississippi, they claim they are coming to see me, but what they are really after is the tasty gulf seafood. To be more specific, oysters. They visit a few times a year, so we have had the opportunity to sample the oysters at numerous restaurants. Their favorite for fried, baked or raw is The Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores.

For a great seafood lunch or dinner, some of the old stand-bys in Gulf Shores can’t be beat. Desoto’s Seafood Kitchen and Doc’s Seafood Shack both offer very affordable lunch specials. For a great view of the gulf while you dine, Bahama Bob’s, Sea and Suds, The Pink Pony and The Hangout will fit the bill.

There are only a handful of restaurants in the area that I haven’t lifted a fork in. (Don’t worry, they are on my list of must-eat-there places.) Because there are so many great eateries in the area, my favorite changes almost monthly. At this moment, I am sticking with one of our newcomers, Cobalt. Sitting on the water’s edge in the shadow of the Alabama Point Bridge in Orange Beach, this restaurant has so many things going for it. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is somewhere between casual and elegant and the view is fantastic. I have had the fresh catch (grouper) blackened and the seafood pizza. Both were very good, but my favorite was the peppercorn encrusted prime filet. I haven’t had dinner with anyone at Cobalt that didn’t enjoy the meal.

The outside dining area of Cobalt overlooks Perdido Pass and a sunset dinner has the built-in entertainment of watching the boats come in from a day of fishing and the sun sinking over the horizon. There is also an outdoor bar, stage and plenty of room for sitting and listening to live music with your favorite cocktail. The restaurant opened in December of 2008 and has all the kinks ironed out.

I can talk for days about food and the great restaurants the Alabama Gulf Coast has to offer, but I’ll save some for another time.



post provided by Luanne Burnett