3/10/2010

Springing forward

Daylight saving time is here. It is the wonderful time of year when it seems the sun shines a little longer on a beautiful day. For me, it means more time to spend outside and more beach time with my family. Daylight saving time also makes it easier to be on the beach at the break of day and the setting of the sun.

I am a photographer and my favorite times of day are just after sunrise and the hour before sunset. The light at these times of day is perfect. It is hard to describe what I feel when I am on the beach with my camera in the afternoon as the sun sinks low on the horizon. There is a magical change in the colors. The light softens and the sugar-white sand reflects some of the colors of the sky. The Gulf water transforms from a sparkling green-blue to a glowing turquoise, to deep cobalt as the sun sets. Standing in the soft white sand and watching this transformation takes my breath away.

Mornings are just as magical. When the sun begins its ascent and trickles of light reach out to hide the stars, the perfect time of soft light returns for the camera lens. Once again, I am left breathless as I watch the breaking of the day and feel the Gulf breeze on my face.

On your next visit to the beautiful Alabama Gulf Coast, schedule some time to be on the beach for the “magic hour” at sunrise or sunset. I bet it will leave you breathless, too. Don’t forget your camera.

Post provided by Luanne Burnett