1/27/2009

Date Night

A contribution from Ms. Beachin'.

OK readers I have to admit I am a foodie, but not in the commonly accepted definition of foodie. I cannot list all the ingredients I taste on my plate nor can I tell the difference between an ’89 and a ’98 chardonnay. I do know the difference between Chablis and Chardonnay but that’s as far as it goes. But I can tell when my taste buds are happy and lately they’ve been very happy.

Friday is “official date night” for my husband and me. It is when I don’t have to cook and we pledged not to discuss mundane items such as “cost of gas”, when is the mortgage payment due, and “do I need to run to the market and get milk?”

My only rule is we do not go to fast food take out, other than that we can go bargain basement or “gee I hope the credit card can handle this bill” type of places to eat.

This week it was Mexican. Other than quick over the border trips to Tijuana and Rosarita Beach I can’t say if I know authentic Mexican cooking or not. But after eating in many of the local area Mexican restaurants my favorite is Tequila’s located in the Bruno’s shopping center in Gulf Shores. It is tucked into the corner near Coastal Video. (remember to pick up a DVD before going home). They recently expanded and waiting time is minimal.

The chips and salsa arrive on your table as the menu is handed to you. Great munching while figuring out what you really want to eat. When it comes to Mexican food I am a safe eater. Hot to me is not a flavor. The California burrito is wonderful, filled with chicken (steak is an option) rice, refried beans, lettuce and sour cream. It is more than enough for 2 people and priced at just $8.99. I have to confess I am eating the leftovers as I write this blog. My husband also referred to as “hon” is a chilies rellenoes fan. This dish is hon’s all time favorite and he orders it every time. His plate can also feed 2, but typically male he can inhale it all and not gain a pound. Leftovers is just not in his vocabulary.

Dinner including a glass of wine cost about $22, to me that’s a bargain in tourist town.

Hasta Lavista Baby!