1/05/2009

A Word from Beachin' Mom

As a mom I am always looking for a way for me to relax and the kids still have fun. My latest scam (sorry I meant plan) is to book a beach vacation in Gulf Shores AL for the family. I am tired of staying in a hotel room where I don’t get a lot of personal space so renting a condo is looking really good to me.

The door to the master bedroom gets quietly closed while the kids hang out in their own bedroom or the living room.

My children are old enough to make cereal for breakfast and pour their own milk from a premeasured glass I leave in the fridge. (This is a great spill prevention trick I learned with my oldest son Brett). My children are early risers especially when the beach is calling them. On the other hand, mom, likes to sleep in late (hopefully 9AM).

The vacation rule is “let mom sleep” and you can wake her up only after you ate all of your breakfast. This usually works out well for me. Dad may have to wake up and supervise TV watching but he’s really good about it and as long as SportsCenter is on he’s a happy camper.

It is so much easier for the family to eat-in in the mornings and we save money by using the kitchen to store snacks and munchies.

Dinner is usually out on the town and the family looks forward to trying a new place each night.

If we eat in, I have lot’s of heat ‘n eat recipes that gets me in and out of the kitchen really fast, and then we all have ice cream out on the patio.

Me, my family and Ben & Jerry…..hmmmmmmmm what a great way to end the day!