3/18/2009

Wolf Bay Lodge Reopens at Zeke's Landing

A Ms. Beachin' blog entry:

A few years back I vacationed in Maine and fell in love with lobster. At the risk of sounding like Forrest Gump I lived on lobster bisque, lobster rolls, lobster pies, broiled lobster, lobster tails etc etc for a week.

What does Maine have to do with Alabama? Not a lot, both offer a coast line with endless scenery but the weather is certainly different. Recently on a lazy Sunday afternoon I found lobster bisque right here in Orange Beach AL that rivals the bisque I feel in love with in Kennebunkport ME.

Wolf Bay Lodge burned down a few months back and the owners managed to find a great space at Zeke’s Landing in Orange Beach until the old place is rebuilt. I am ashamed to say that as a local I’ve not been to Wolf Bay Lodge and now realize what great food I’ve been missing.

As I placed my order for the rib-eye sandwich the waitress apologetically announce that there was no gumbo for the afternoon but they did have lobster bisque. I immediately ordered a cup and wished I order the biggest bowl they had in the restaurant! First of all you could actually see the lobster. That delicious crustacean was blended with a creamy base kicked up southern style that will have me eating oatmeal for the next two weeks.

The bisque combined with views, live music and a nice glass of wine made a memorable Sunday afternoon. I turned to my hubby and announced it was just another great day in paradise.

Zeke’s Landing is located across the road from Phoenix 6, 7 and 8, turn into the center and drive back towards the marina. After a great meal walk around the marina looking at the fishing boats, shops and with luck watch fisherman come back in from a day of fishing and watch the fresh catch of the day off loaded from the boat.