1/14/2010

Shopping is a great indoor activity

As much as we Pleasure Islanders hate it, we do have to endure cold weather, occasionally. Such was the case last week. Somehow, a much-despised artic air mass made its way to the southern most reaches of the United States. Even the people of south Florida had to find extra blankets to keep the bone-chilling cold at bay.

I wondered about our winter guests that make the trip to our semi-tropical climate each year to escape the cold. The snowbirds I encountered during the week all said it was still warmer here than at home. I guess it is all relative.

There are different types of adverse weather conditions that will keep me indoors on a weekend. One is a rainstorm and another is cold weather. Saturday was one of those days. So, I took my number two granddaughter on a shopping trip for school clothes. It was a belated Christmas gift I had put off for a rainy weekend. It wasn’t raining, but the cold air made it a great day for shopping.

Our first stop was in a consignment store. Foley has some great second-hand shops with good selections and reasonable prices. We couldn’t find any suitable pants, but we did get a white shirt at a good price.

Our next stop was at the Tanger Outlet Center. We knew we would find everything we were looking for there. We visited four stores and were able to come away with everything we were shopping for. Not only did I get her school clothes on sale, I also found a Mardi Gras ball gown, clutch and earrings for me. I call that a productive shopping experience.

We finished shopping around noon and topped the morning off with lunch at Ruby Tuesday in Foley. It was a good day for grandmother/granddaughter time.

post provided by Luanne Burnett