1/12/2010

A two-movie weekend

A recent cool weekend had me wondering what to do that didn’t involve a hat, scarf and gloves. Thank goodness, cold weather is not something we have to deal with very often on the beautiful Alabama Gulf Coast.

After a morning shopping spree with my granddaughter, I was looking forward to an adult afternoon and evening. My friend and I decided on an afternoon movie and dinner afterwards.

Afternoon movies are my favorite. The matinee prices are a couple of dollars less than evening prices and the theaters are not as crowded. We are lucky to have two great theaters to choose from in our area. Cobb Pinnacle 14 in Gulf Shores is at Pelican Place Shopping Center just north of the Intercoastal Waterway and Rave Motion Pictures Wharf 15 is at The Wharf in Orange Beach. Both are new theaters with comfortable stadium seating and ample parking.

For our Saturday escape, we chose “Sherlock Holmes” at The Wharf. The movie was excellent and the theater was warm. There was a nice crowd that was also trying to dodge the cold, I’m sure. After the movie, we stepped into the brisk evening air and quickly made a decision on which restaurant we were going to visit. We walked north on Main Street to the corner and into Villaggio Grille. When we stepped inside, we were greeted by the smell of a wood fire. The scent seemed very fitting on a cool evening. Villaggio Grille has excellent food and I always have difficultly making a decision on the entrée. Without any discussion of our choices, we both ordered Shrimp Carbonara. The warm pasta and creamy sauce with just the right amount of gulf shrimp was the perfect meal to warm our insides.

Sunday morning brought another frost. After Sunday morning church service, the afternoon was a blank page before me. I usually try to find an outdoor activity for Sunday afternoons, but the cooler than normal air was once again a deterrent. I opened the newspaper and scanned the pages. I decided it was another good day for a movie. This time, it was “It’s Complicated” at the Cobb Pinnacle 14. The start time was 12:55, so I had time to fix a quick lunch at home and cruise down Highway 59 to the theater. The movie was great and the theater not too crowded.

The sun was bright and the forecast promising for the week ahead, so on my way home I stopped at Pinnacle Car Wash and invested a few dollars toward a clean vehicle. I even stopped at the free vacuum on the way out and removed some of the sand from the carpet in the car.

Warmer temperatures are back in Coastal Alabama and I plan to replace some of the sand I removed from my car with fresh next weekend. I am looking forward to being outside again. But, it is always good to have choices when the weather keeps you in. Sometimes, a two-movie weekend isn’t so bad.


post provided by Luanne Burnett