6/03/2009

Gulf Coast Green Market

What a way to start off the day. Whether you are a resident here on the island or just visiting on vacation the Green Market is a must to experience. I went this past Saturday morning, and it was so much fun. The Green Market is an open air market located at Lake Shelby and it helps support our local farmers and merchants. Fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, plants, honey, wine, and shrimp are just a few of the goodies that were available this past Saturday. One of the biggest hits of the day was the home-grown tomatoes, and believe me they did not last long. The honey from Silverhill was also a sweet treat.

I had just as much fun talking with the vendors as I did shopping at the booths. Did you know that there is a star squash? Well, I sure did not. I found out all kinds of neat little trivia about everything from shrimp to wine. The Green Market is a win/win situation for the vendor and the customer. It was just a fabulous morning.

The Green Market is every Saturday in June from 7:00-11:00am. It is located right off the beach highway at beautiful Lake Shelby. It is a definite that the early bird gets the worm here. It is also so pleasant in the early hours with the gulf breeze and the warm sun. I will be back next Saturday to stock up on my supply of home-grown tomatoes de-lish. I also look forward to seeing what other goodies will be in store for me. I will see you bright and early on Saturday.