4/12/2009

Big O's

Big O’s has been around since before Ivan (this is the way locals way measure time) and is know for an off- track place to grab a bit to eat.

I love Gulf Shores and I love tourist season. BUT I must say I don’t like waiting for my dinner. Tourist season in Gulf Shores can lend itself to long lines. For my hubby and I, Big O’s has always been the “place we know we can get into and not wait a long time”. Our primary craving at Big O’s has been their burger, fries and beer.

Imagine my surprise when I decided to read the menu Friday night and realized there was more offered than my routinely ordered burger!

Feeling feisty, we both honed in to the AUCE (that’s all you can eat in restaurant talk) flounder or shrimp… fried, and accompanied with French fries and hush puppies (more fried) and of course sweet tea. Wow, I’ll be eating lettuce and oatmeal for at least two weeks to counter act all this wonderful grease.

The shrimp was great, perfectly cooked and the breading did not over shout the shrimp, and the serving sizes were major. By our lack of conversation that night I think the flounder was also an A+, we just ATE for about twenty minutes and then ordered more. Our topic of conversation on the way home was “ That was really really good and you should have stopped me at the second serving”. Ah… husbands, you can’t live with them and you can’t live with out ‘em.

Big O’s is not a fancy place but Owen offers good food at reasonable prices and the waitresses always come back to your table to make certain you are fat and happy. Big O’s is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ah…..I can hear those cinnamon buns calling my name. Maybe you’ll be reading about them in future blogs.


Ms. Beachin' says ...See You at the Beach!!