4/07/2009

Smokey Bones BBQ

Note: A blog by Ms. Beachin'

When I first moved to the south I realize I didn’t know anything about BBQ. In the north, any food thrown onto a Weber grill meant you were having BBQ. I was quickly educated by my new southern friends that was “grilling” not BBQ-ing. Silly me. I lived for 37 years cheated of the mystery of smoked meats and ribs.

I discovered that BBQ involved hours of secret ingredients put into things called rubs, mops ( it sounded like house cleaning to me) and different types of wood. I also quickly learned that everyone had a different opinion as to what was really good BBQ. Dry rub? Mopping? Smoked with Pecan wood, hickory wood or apple wood? Served without sauce or with sauce and if so vinegar base, mustard base or tomato base? So many unanswered questions! After all is said and done, the best BBQ is the whatever your taste buds smile about.

So this weekend my honey and I went on a BBQ safari and found a place we both agreed was fantastic. Try Smokey Bones just off Canal Rd in Orange Beach. It is east of the Wharf and on a side street on the south side off Canal Rd. You can see the place from the street.

Smokey Bones is laid back, clean and family oriented. You place your order at the counter and point to the sides you want. Grab a beer or soda near the register and pick yourself a table.

I could smell the smoke as I walked into the door and walked over to the counter to order my pork plate and hubby ordered the brisket. Both were tender and juicy. Other choices include chicken, ribs or sausage plates, sandwiches or take out by the pound. The phone was ringing off the hook while I was there and take out was really jumping!

Sauce choices were a treat since you can pick from six different bottles on the table. Me, I combined original with spicy, my partner in crime had the spicy combined with HOT.

If you’re looking for atmosphere, you won’t find it here. If you’re looking for great BBQ and a cold beer…this is the place! We’ will be back to try out the ribs and homemade pies for desert.

By the way, our two plates and beers cost us less than $20. Not bad at all.